- joint committee
- A parliamentary committee made up of members of both houses of Parliament.
- joint sitting
- A combined meeting of the House of Representatives and Senate in one chamber, to make a decision on a proposed law which the two houses, sitting separately, have been unable to agree on.
- Journals of the Senate
- (see also Votes and Proceedings)
The official record of the actions and decisions made in the Senate.
- judicial power
- (see also separation of powers)
The power of the courts to make judgements about the law.
- The High Court and other federal courts that make judgements about the law.