This booklet explores Australia’s system of governance and how Parliament works. It includes the following sections:
- The Australian Constitution
- Three levels of law-making
- Electing members of parliament
- Diagrams of the houses of Parliament
- Parliament at work.
Get Parliament also includes information about getting involved in Parliament, as well as useful online and print resources for students and teachers.
To view on your mobile device or interactive whiteboard: Get Parliament [PDF 10.59Mb, 26 pages] (this is a low resolution version provided for screen use and is not recommended for printing).
Get Parliament activity sheets
Download activity sheets to use with each section of Get Parliament. Each sheet includes eight activities that cater to a range of aptitudes from upper primary to secondary level, with the final four activities designed to extend and challenge students. These sheets can be used on an interactive whiteboard and include links for further research.
Please note: the activity sheets below can still be used with the previous version of Get Parliament.
- Activity sheets: Complete set [PDF 3.71Mb, 18 pages]
- Activity sheet: Federation [PDF 773kb, 2 pages]
- Activity sheet: The Australian Constitution [PDF 860kb, 2 pages]
- Activity sheet: Three levels of law-making [PDF 369kb, 2 pages]
- Activity sheet: Electing members of parliament [PDF 670kb, 2 pages]
- Activity sheet: The houses of Parliament [PDF 857kb, 2 pages]
- Activity sheet: Representation and forming government [PDF 728kb, 2 pages]
- Activity sheet: Making laws [PDF 561kb, 2 pages]
- Activity sheet: Accountability [PDF 507kb, 2 pages]
- Activity sheet: Get involved [PDF 524kb, 2 pages]
How to order
To order Get Parliament, download and complete the order form below, and mail or fax it to the Parliamentary Education Office (PEO).
Individual copies and class sets can be ordered.
- Price: $1.50 (GST inclusive)
- Price per class set - 31 copies (GST inclusive): $45.00
- Prices include postage
If you would like more information about Get Parliament or how to order the resource, please contact the PEO.