Get Parliament is an A4 magazine suitable for primary and secondary students. It explains how Parliament works and is designed to help teachers educate young people about Australia’s system of governance.
Get Parliament introduces readers to law-making and the functions of Parliament, and explains key concepts such as 'the three levels of government' and the Constitution in easy-to-understand terms. Get Parliament also describes what members of parliament do and explains how students can get involved.
Get Parliament is divided into the following sections:
- Federation—how Australia became a nation.
- The Australian Constitution—the rules by which Australia is run. It examines the separation of powers between the Parliament, the Executive and the Judiciary, and the steps required to change the Constitution.
- Three levels of law-making—the three levels of government in Australia.
- Electing members of parliament—parliamentary representation and how voters choose members of parliament.
- The houses of Parliament—labelled diagrams of the House of Representatives and the Senate.
- Parliament at work: Representation and forming government
- Parliament at work: Making laws
- Parliament at work: Accountability—the ways Parliament closely examines the work of the government.
- Get involved—how students can engage with Parliament.
- Get more—links to online resources and sites for further study, as well as information about other resources produced by the PEO.
How to order
To order copies of Get Parliament, download and complete the order form below, and mail or fax it to the Parliamentary Education Office (PEO).
Individual copies and class sets can be ordered.
- Price per individual copy (GST Inclusive) $1.50
- Price per class set - 31 copies (GST Inclusive) $45.00
- Prices include postage
If you would like more information about Get Parliament or how to order the resource, please contact the PEO.
Download a pdf version of Get Parliament to view on your mobile device or interactive whiteboard. This is a low resolution version provided for screen use and is not recommended for printing.
Get Parliament activity sheets
Download activity sheets to use with each section of Get Parliament. Each one includes eight activities that cater to a range of aptitudes from upper primary to secondary level, with the final four activities designed to extend and challenge students. The activity sheets can be used on smart boards and include interactive links for further research.
Please note: the below re-designed activity sheets can still be used with the previous version of Get Parliament.
- Download complete set: 9 activity sheets [PDF 2.7MB, 18 pages]
- Activity sheet: Federation [PDF 846kb, 2 pages]
- Activity sheet: The Australian Constitution [PDF 831kb, 2 pages]
- Activity sheet: Three levels of law-making [PDF 453kb, 2 pages]
- Activity sheet: Electing members of parliament [PDF 394kb, 2 pages]
- Activity sheet: The houses of Parliament [PDF 444kb, 2 pages]
- Activity sheet: Representation and forming government [PDF 576kb, 2 pages]
- Activity sheet: Making laws [PDF 484kb, 2 pages]
- Activity sheet: Accountability [PDF 433kb, 2 pages]
- Activity sheet: Get involved [PDF 389kb, 2 pages]