These Year 9 Australian Civics and Citizenship Curriculum inquiry questions, content descriptions and achievement standards relate to the Year 9 unit of work.
Year 9 inquiry question
What influences shape the operation of Australia's political system?
Civics and citizenship content descriptions
Knowledge and understanding
Government and democracy
The role of political parties and independent representatives in Australia's system of government, including the formation of governments (ACHCK075)
How citizens' political choices are shaped, including the influence of the media (ACHCK076)
The process through which government policy is shaped and developed, including the role of Prime Minister and Cabinet (ACHCK103)
Questioning and research
Develop, select and evaluate a range of questions to investigate Australia's political and legal systems (ACHCS082)
Identify, gather and sort information and ideas from a range of sources and reference as appropriate (ACHCS083)
Analysis, synthesis and interpretation
Critically evaluate information and ideas from a range of sources in relation to civics and citizenship topics and issues (ACHCS084)
Account for different interpretations and points of view (ACHCS085)
Communication and reflection
Present evidence-based civics and citizenship arguments using subject-specific language (ACHCS088)
The following aspects of the Year 9 achievement standards are covered by this unit:
- Students evaluate features of Australia's political system, and identify and analyse the influences on people's political choices.
- When researching, students analyse a range of questions to investigate Australia's political system and critically analyse information gathered from different sources for relevance and reliability.
- Students compare and account for different interpretations and points of view on civics and citizenship issues.
- Students develop and present evidence-based arguments on civics and citizenship issues using appropriate texts, subject-specific language and concepts.
- Students analyse ways they can be active and informed citizens in different contexts.
View the entire achievement standards from the Year 9 civics and citizenship curriculum.
Source: Australian Curriculum, Assessment and Reporting Authority (ACARA), downloaded from the Australian Curriculum website on 01/01/17. (curriculum version 8.3)
Note: All material identified by "AC" is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Australia (CC BY NC SA) licence. For all material licensed under this creative commons licence, you are free to:
- Share – copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format; and
- Adapt – remix, transform, and build upon the material, under the following terms:
- Attribution – You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.
- Non-Commercial – You may not use the material for commercial purposes.
- ShareAlike – If you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you must distribute your contributions under the same license as the original.